Farmington, NM Periodontal Treatment
Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, is a big problem in this country. The Centers for Disease Control report that some 50 percent of Americans 30 years and older have some form of gum disease. Many of these people aren’t even aware they have it. Many who suspect or know they have it are not receiving treatment.
A lot of people don’t realize that poor gum health not only puts the health of your teeth at risk, but it can also negatively impact overall health. Gum disease puts them at higher risk for stroke, heart disease, diabetes, and it even causes health risks for pregnant women. When your gums become diseased, your entire immune system is put into jeopardy.
The good news is that if you do have periodontal disease, it can be treated—especially when we discover it in its early stages. Make an appointment with Dr. Jared Lusk of Lusk Family Dentistry if you even suspect you might have periodontal disease. Regardless of how far it has progressed, Dr. Lusk can treat your periodontal disease and help you keep your gums healthy.
Signs of Gum Disease
In many cases, gum disease is present without any symptoms. This is just one of the many reasons why it is so important to see your dentist twice each year for examinations. If you are not sure of whether or not you have gum disease, schedule an examination with Dr. Lusk.
If you are suffering from any of the following symptoms, you might have gum disease:
- Bad breath that won’t go away, even after you brush
- Gums that bleed after you brush your teeth
- Pus forming between your gums and teeth
- Gums that are swollen, red, and tender
- Teeth that are starting to become loose
- Teeth that look longer than normal because the gums have pulled away
Periodontal Care Can Save Your Teeth—and Your Health
Because gum disease has been linked to serious health conditions, it is important that you get treatment right away. Treatment will not only control the infection, but it will restore your dental health and minimize risks to your overall health.
Dr. Lusk provides the following for periodontal diagnosis and treatment:
- Root planing and scaling—When bacteria and calculus have built up in hard-to-reach areas, this deep cleaning process eliminates them. Root planing and scaling stops the gum disease from spreading. ATRIDOX® (doxycycline hyclate) Atrigel delivery system is an effective antibiotic treatment, which is placed inside the infected pockets after the procedure.
- Gingivectomy—A gingivectomy will remove and reshape excess gum tissue. It will shrink the depths of periodontal pockets where bacteria like to grow, and it will minimize the destruction of healthy gum tissue.
- Periodontal maintenance—If you have already been treated for gum disease, periodontal maintenance is recommended. Prevent further damage to your gums by removing bacteria and infection from above and below the gum line.
Stop this insidious disease in its tracks. Keep your gums—and your smile—functional and beautiful. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Lusk today to make sure your gums are healthy.