Preventative Dentistry in Farmington, NM
At Lusk Family Dentistry, we believe that every patient deserves access to dental care that will keep their smile safe.
As your Farmington, NM dentist, we also understand the undeniable connection between healthy smiles and preventing dental problems before they even occur. While treating most dental problems is possible, no treatment is as successful, as affordable, or as convenient as preventative dentistry. Our goal is to stop dental decay in its tracks before you ever even get that first cavity.
When you visit our dental practice for your routine teeth cleanings and exams, we promise that you will receive the very best in preventative care. Dr. Lusk and our dental team work hard to make sure your teeth are healthy, shiny, clean, and ready to take on the world after every dental appointment—and we’re here to be a helpful resource in any way we can.
- What does preventative dentistry mean for me?
- How do my routine dental appointments play a role in keeping my smile healthy?
- How can fluoride help my smile?
- What are the simple steps I can take to avoid dental decay and protect my teeth?
- What if I need more involved treatment?
What does preventative dentistry mean for me?
You rely on your teeth to help you chew your food, pronounce your words correctly, and show your emotions and smile to the world.
When you do all that you can to protect your teeth, they will reward you with decades of service. If you neglect your teeth and don’t prioritize your oral health, however, you put yourself at a higher risk for cavities, gum disease, tooth loss, and even conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.
Rather than risking the demise of your dental health in the future, you can work now to keep your teeth healthy and happy. The best part of preventative dentistry? Even just a few minutes each day can make a huge difference.
Prioritizing your dental health means committing to take excellent care of your teeth and make lifestyle choices that support a thriving smile. Consistent, daily habits add up to a lifetime of protected teeth.
If you want to improve your quality of preventative dentistry in Farmington, NM, it begins with you. You and your family are on the front lines in the battle for your smile, and you can start by making small changes that will have a significant impact on your oral health.
For you on an individual level, preventative dentistry means:
- Keeping your teeth clean by using proper brushing and flossing techniques
- Visiting your Farmington dentist often for dental exams and checkups
- Making healthy dietary and lifestyle choices
- Purchasing ADA-approved toothpaste and other dental products to have around your home
- Looking ahead and considering the long-term health of your smile when making daily decisions about what to eat, drink, and do
How do my routine dental appointments play a role in keeping my smile healthy?
When you visit us at Lusk Family Dentistry for a routine dental appointment, we examine your smile and thoroughly clean your teeth.
And when it comes to preventative dentistry, the math is simple: the more frequently you visit the dentist, the more chances you give yourself to protect your smile. Now, we aren’t suggesting you visit our dental office every week for a teeth cleaning and exam—there can be too much of a good thing—but you should schedule a dental appointment at least once every six months and more often if recommended by Dr. Lusk.
When you skip dental appointments, it means you go longer between checkups performed by a dental professional. Dental equipment like digital x-rays catches problems not visible to the naked eye, meaning that even if you don’t have symptoms or have any clue that there’s a problem with a tooth, we can still catch it early.
Additionally, you need professional teeth cleanings in Farmington, NM if you want to keep your teeth thoroughly clean. Only professional dental instruments used by trained dentists and dental hygienists can remove 100 percent of plaque and tartar from your teeth. Even if you’re the most diligent brusher in the world, your toothbrush and floss can only do so much.
Your standard preventative dental appointments keep your smile healthy by giving Dr. Lusk a chance to check for:
- Oral cancer
- Gum disease
- Dental infections
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Any other dental irregularities that may be present
When you visit your dentist, you keep your teeth cleaner and healthier than people who choose not to visit the dentist.
How can fluoride help my smile?
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that is scientifically proven to make teeth more resistant to cavities and demineralization.
Because most metropolitan areas across the United States add fluoride to tap water, there’s a good chance you’re getting enough fluoride by merely drinking water every day. You should also be brushing with an ADA-approved fluoride toothpaste to strengthen your teeth further.
Fluoride gives your teeth a better chance of staying healthy and protects your smile against attackers. Most adults get enough fluoride naturally, but if you’re worried about your smile or concerned that you aren’t getting enough fluoride in Farmington, NM, our treatment team at Lusk Family Dentistry can help.
Give us a call at (505) 325-8401 and ask about our fluoride rinses and treatments we have available for both adults and children.
What are the simple steps I can take to avoid dental decay and protect my teeth?
While our Farmington dentist can help you protect your teeth by providing regular dental cleanings and exams, you can also do a lot within your own home to improve your oral health.
Consider taking the following simple steps to keep your smile healthy and improve your quality of life:
- Stop smoking and rid yourself of all smokeless tobacco products
- Limit your intake of sodas, juices, and energy drinks to special occasions
- Sip water after your meals to help neutralize the acids in your mouth
- Eat foods high in calcium and vitamins to promote strong teeth
- Don’t skip dental appointments, and don’t wait to contact your dentist if you notice a problem with a tooth
- Floss thoroughly once per day to keep your gums healthy and reduce your chances of developing gum disease
- Brush your teeth after every meal to remove bacteria and food debris
- Chew sugarless gum
- Avoid biting your nails
- Don’t use your teeth as “tools” for jobs like tearing open plastic or biting on pens
- Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash at least once per day
- Be proactive with your dental care and ask your treatment team for tips and tricks on how to keep your smile healthy
- Get recommended dental treatments, such as cavity fillings and root canals, right away
- Don’t snack on starchy or sugary foods, and limit treats to mealtime where you’re already eating other foods and drinking plenty of water
- Visit your dentist for cleanings and exams every six months, and make sure your children get the dental care they need starting at a young age
What if I need more involved treatment?
At Lusk Family Dentistry, our biggest wish is for you to have a healthy smile. Preventative dentistry is the foundation of every healthy smile and is an essential aspect of your dentistry, but we recognize that basic six-month dental appointments aren’t always enough.
Over the years, we’ve found that some of our patients have a harder time keeping their smiles clean due to outside factors such as genetics or certain oral medications they’re taking. Other considerations, including patients’ ages, can make it more difficult to maintain oral hygiene.
If you need more involved preventative dental treatment to keep your teeth healthy, we’re prepared to offer it. Dr. Lusk is happy to talk with you about extra dental cleanings and exams, dental sealants, inlays and onlays, fluoride rinses, or other treatments you may need to improve your preventative dentistry in Farmington, NM.
Schedule Your Next Preventative Dental Appointment Today
If you haven’t been to the dentist in the last six months, Dr. Lusk needs to see you right away for a routine dental appointment.
To schedule your next preventative dentistry visit, please call Lusk Family Dentistry today at (505) 325-8401.
We look forward to seeing you!